Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Review: The Rose Society by Marie Lu (The Young Elites #2)

The Rose Society by Marie Lu (The Young Elites #2)
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction
Score: 4.5 stars
Page Count: 395
Book #2 of The Young Elites trilogy
Publisher: G.P Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Published: October 13, 2015

Once upon a time, a girl had a father, a prince, a society of friends. Then they betrayed her, and she destroyed them all.

Adelina Amouteru’s heart has suffered at the hands of both family and friends, turning her down the bitter path of revenge. Now known and feared as the White Wolf, she and her sister flee Kenettra to find other Young Elites in the hopes of building her own army of allies. Her goal: to strike down the Inquisition Axis, the white-cloaked soldiers who nearly killed her.
But Adelina is no heroine. Her powers, fed only by fear and hate, have started to grow beyond her control. She does not trust her newfound Elite friends. Teren Santoro, leader of the Inquisition, wants her dead. And her former friends, Raffaele and the Dagger Society, want to stop her thirst for vengeance. Adelina struggles to cling to the good within her. But how can someone be good, when her very existence depends on darkness?

Review:
PROS:
1. So if you've read the first book in this amazing series by the one and only Marie Lu or you're on Tumblr or Instagram- who isn't?- then you probably know that the previous book left many fans crying, heartbroken, excited and all around a roller coaster of emotions. Which is cool. So obviously when the sequel came out, I was extremely excited to find out what would happen next to my beloved characters on their newest journey. Let's get started:

2. Assuming you've read the first book- which if you haven't then you shouldn't be reading this review, because, you know, SPOILERS- then you know that when we last left our hero-gone-dark-side Adelina, she had struggled to stay the hero when her powers were only fueled by the pain, anger and fear of herself and those around her. In the previous book, she was very much confused about who she was becoming, what she was capable of doing and overcome with grief towards a fatal accident that she caused. In this book, however, Adelina is back and more powerful than ever and ready to fight back against her enemies and the friends that betrayed her. She becomes such a dark and powerful character that you honestly can't help but both cheer for her and hope that she has a change of heart. Adelina really makes some amazing development once she decides that she's not about to let the kingdom she loves fall to ruin to those who only want to attack her and her people, the malfettos. I love her character to no end and I love that we also get introduced to new characters such as new elites and reintroduced to characters from the first book. 

3. The world building and the writing is just so great in these books to me personally. I love Marie Lu's writing style and how she's so easily able to portray her characters and the world around them so beautifully. I loved that the characters were so unique and different from each other and how they all had different personalities that really defined them. I love the world and how medieval it felt so much and I couldn't help but get incredibly excited to get back into the city of Estenzia when I picked this book up. I really recommend this series to any fantasy lover that wants awesome characters, unique super powers, murder, action, flying beasts and exciting content that never slows. 


4. Overall, this book was just such an awesome installment in the series and it makes me yearn for the third book. I didn't like this book as much as I loved the first, but only because I was only getting to know everything there was to know about the characters and the world in the previous book, which made it a more exciting read than the sequel. I still loved this book though and I really, really hope that The Young Elites goes into development for a book-to-movie adaptation. That would be amazing. I highly recommend this series if you love a good villain-in-training. 


Follow Marie!
Tumblr  

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! I actually liked it a lot better than the first one. Adelina is an intriguing character; I have a love/hate relationship with her. I think The Young Elites would make a wonderful movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so happy you like this series!! I really love Adelina as a character, but then again I love a good villain ;) The Young Elites was purchased by 21st Century Fox so I don't see any reason why it can't become a movie! I hope they pick it up in the near future.
      Thanks for reading and please come again!!

      Delete
  2. I didn't fully read this review because I haven't read the first book yet so I just scanned it! But I am glad that you liked this one basically as much as the first one if not more. I can't wait to read the first book myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you end up loving it! Please do a review once you read it, I would love to read your thoughts on the first book!

      Delete