Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Review: Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova (Graphic Novel)

Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova
23657454
Rating: PG
Genre: Graphic Novel
Score: ❤❤❤❤❤
Page Count: 224
Stand Alone
Publisher: Yen Press
Published: July 21, 2015

Cardinal rule #1 for surviving school: Don't get noticed by the mean kids.

Cardinal rule #2 for surviving school: Seek out groups with similar interests and join them.

On her first day at her new school, Penelope--Peppi--Torres reminds herself of these basics. But when she trips into a quiet boy in the hall, Jaime Thompson, she's already broken the first rule, and the mean kids start calling her the "nerder girlfriend." How does she handle this crisis? By shoving poor Jaime and running away!
Falling back on rule two and surrounding herself with new friends in the art club, Peppi still can't help feeling ashamed about the way she treated Jaime. Things are already awkward enough between the two, but to make matters worse, he's a member of her own club's archrivals--the science club! And when the two clubs go to war, Peppi realizes that sometimes you have to break the rules to survive middle school!

Rating:
PROS:
1. First off, can we just talk about how adorable the cover is? Okay, let's get serious. It's been a little slow for me seeing as I haven't been reading many graphic novels lately due to school, reading slumps, art projects etc. So I was very happy to find this lovely book to get me back into the reading of graphic novels and of course, I ended up finding yet another that I plan on adding to my shelf! Let's get this review started!
2. First, I want to talk about the characters. I really loved all their characters and their goofy, silly and very determined personalities. I loved that the kids viewed their science teacher as an evil genius and their art teacher as a bit of a loser whom they loved anyway. It was funny to see how bubbly and weird some of the kids where in this book (they are in middle school after all) and I loved how the science geeks and art nerds had their own ways of expressing themselves. I really loved our two main characters Peppi and Jaime. I thought Peppi was really sweet, very creative and even a little dramatic. She was a really fun character to follow and I loved seeing her deal with real life lessons about making new friends and learning to stand up for her friends and go for what she really wants. Jaime was quiet and a bit of a geek but he was the kind of best friend I'd want to have myself. He didn't like conflict and he was a bit awkward around people but he knew what he liked and didn't let people change him. 

3. I loved the story line so much because of many reasons! I loved that it talks about a really relatable subject of rivaling clubs in middle school and the subject of who to befriend and who to stay away from was very well explored in an entertaining way.  Peppi really wanted to apologize to and become friends with Jaime but things got complicated once she discovered he was part of the Science Club, the soul adversaries of her Art Club. The story line played out really well and I loved that it wasn't predictable like some can be. It dealt with two rivaling clubs that were hungry for bloodshed and tears and will go to any lengths to beat each other for the spot of being included in the School Club Fair. Even if it means all out war and sabotage. 

4. I really loved the art in this book as well! I loved how 'fun' it was and how it gave off an innocent, almost goofy, feel to the book just on its own. I really loved the colors used in the illustrations and how it was mainly muted pinks and greys with pops of bright colors in the clothing of the characters and their surroundings. I really love just staring at the illustrations which might seem kind of weird, but whatever. I loved all the detailing of the facial expressions which made me laugh most often and I really enjoyed how clear it all was and how easy it was to read. 

5. Overall, I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a simple, funny and quick graphic novel to pick up should you ever need something to lift your mood. It's tons of fun to read, even more fun to look at and who doesn't love a funny and goofy read?

Follow Svetlana!

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email. Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

1 comment:

  1. Your book is amazing.
    It was the best graphic novel I have ever read.
    Good work. I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete