Thursday, August 13, 2015

Review: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
Rating: PG-13 (Some Language)
Genre: Contemporary
Score: 4.5 stars
Page Count: 337
Book #2 of the To All The Boys I've Loved Before duology
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books
Published: May 26, 2015

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?
In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.

Review:
PROS:
1. Now a quick disclaimer is that I too didn't LOVE the first book in this duology however at the time, I still really enjoyed it because it was what I was in the mood for. True, it wasn't exactly a masterpiece but I gave it a four star rating because despite how annoying some of the characters (one, to be more specific) I still really liked it and I was really excited when the news came out that this book would get a sequel. I've been wanting to read it ever since I bought it and now I finally got around to doing so. I was in a reading slump when I started reading this so that might've affected mt rating on this book. Now that we have that portion out of the way, here's the review!

2. The first thing I want to talk about is the characters for a few reasons. (1) Lara Jean wasn't exactly the most mature teenage girl in the world but then again is any teenage girl? Be honest! I loved that as her character develops in this sequel, you can really see how much she's grown up and matured from the previous book. She's less winy and doesn't want any drama in her life. Sure, she's still not perfect but I really love her character in this book a lot more. (2) The other characters such as Kitty, Peter, Margot even and Lara Jean's dad all really go through some amazing development as well. I feel like Kitty just got a lot sassier and really became her own person, and made me wish she was my little sister! Obviously we all know that Peter isn't exactly the most humble of characters but I still loved seeing him grow up a little too. In the first book, he's somewhat of a jerk, not going to lie about that, but in the book, you really see that he's still a good guy. And I'm not one to like the jerks just so you know. Even Margot moves on with her life in college and just wants to focus on what the future holds instead of crying over a boy. Their dad, I feel, got a little more spotlight as he became a little aware that his dating life isn't exactly the best but hey, he's learning!

3. The story line played out wonderfully in this book as well! I was really impressed when I first saw the reviews for this book on Goodreads and how amazing they were. Most of the reviews for the first book consisted of one to five star reviews, nothing amazing. But for this one, most of the reviews I saw were all four to five stars. People were raving about how much better it was than the first and how it took a complete and surprising turn. Needless to say, I was more determined to get to this book faster than I first intended. The story really did impress me in a way that it went from a fun, light-hearted read to a more serious and even a bit of a melancholic one. Lara Jean definitely had to go through some ups and downs and had to deal with bullying, gossip and losing and making friends and why being in love for the first time- no matter how complicated- is so amazing. I think this book was more of a relatable story and I would so love to pick up this book again!

4. Overall, I think if you liked the first book, you'll more than likely love this sequel! Some even loved it more and that was my case. Even if you didn't really care for To All The Boys I've Loved Before, I would still recommend this book, but of course that's my opinion. I was satisfied with how everything ended between the characters and how the book wrapped up and I honestly kind of want a third book. Also, this book was a lot funnier. Multiple times I burst out laughing and couldn't stop. If you're not afraid of looking like a weirdo by laughing at a book like me, then have fun with this one! I even tabbed my favorites!

Follow Jenny!

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

2 comments:

  1. Hope I'll love this better than I loved To All the Boys I've Loved Before! I'm excited to read this. More Peter + Lara Jean please! <3 :")

    Wonderful review, Anissa! Keep writing. :D

    xx,
    A Girl Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy it! This book has some MAJOR Peter and Lara Jean feels so be prepared!!

      Delete