Saturday, May 30, 2015

Review: The Dreaming (Vol. 1-3) by Queenie Chan




The Dreaming (Vol. 1-3) by Queenie Chan
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Horror, Paranormal, Manga
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count Total: 482
Books 1-3 of The Dreaming trilogy
Publisher: Tokyopop
Published: December 13, 2005, November 14, 2006, May 1, 2008
 
Summery for book #1:
Identical twins Jeanie and Amber are new students at Greenwich Private College, that lies on the edge of virgin bushlands. The school is run by its vice principal, who has a prejudice against twins - in fact, she rejects all twins' applications. The girls were only able to get in by saying that they are just regular sisters, born 11 months apart.
 
SUMMERY FOR BOOK #2 SPOILERS!!
Greenwich Private College grinds to a complete halt after the discovery of Millie's body. As gloom and despair sets in, most of the students leave the school. But Jeanie's curiosity keeps her on campus, and when she's led down the path of the Greenwich's dark history, has she awakened a ghostly curse?
 
SUMMERY FOR BOOK #3 SPOILERS!!
Where did the ghostly girls come from? And what do they want? Before the students know it, the missing girls enter the school, where Amber spots Millie, who speaks to her almost as if to warn her of something. Is there more to this supernatural mystery than just the school itself? The answers to why these girls have come back and what caused their death are revealed in this haunting series finale.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. I love manga with all my heart and I've really been wanting to check out some more series in the style but of course there are about a million to choose from in the world. I came across this one that I'd been seeing around for a while but I never actually knew what it was about. I decided to get all three books and I ended up loving every minute of it! Here's the review!
 
2. Of course, the art really made an impact on me. I love drawing manga characters from my favorite anime series and manga series and I have to say that these books made me want to draw everything for myself. I love the black and white color pallet for this series because it suites the story so well whereas color probably wouldn't have made as nice an impact. The illustrations were so cool and eerie in the first book but then the art grows more detailed and even more creepy in the second book and by the third book, the art had me oohing and ahing throughout the whole book. I loved seeing the change and progression in the artwork and it was one of my favorite things about this series.
 
3. I also of course really loved the characters and the things that affected the characters in a way that made them change in a very eerie way. If I honestly had to choose only one word to describe this series, it'd be eerie. No question about that! The characters such as Amber and Jeanie were really cool to get to know. Amber was more of the shy girl who was a loner and didn't really have any friends other than the books she read. Whereas her sister Jeanie was very outgoing and daring and didn't shy away from people and trying new things. I thought the sisters were very opposite from each other which I think made they're characters more interesting. The side characters such as their newfound friends, I didn't really get enough of. I would've loved to see more of them in this series but what I did get out of them was that they were very loyal and suspicious themselves about what's going on at their school. 
 
4. Overall, I highly recommend this series if you want to check out a manga series but don't want to commit to a very long one. We all know it takes about five years to read the Dragon Ball books . . . I really loved these books not only because they were fast-paced and creepy but because they were also exciting and very fast reads. The story had a lot of twists and turns and I loved every minute of it. There was so much mystery in this series so if you're looking for some books to read around the Halloween season, definitely add these books to your list!
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment