Thursday, May 28, 2015

Review: Airhead by Meg Cabot

Airhead by Meg Cabot (Airhead #1)
Rating: PG
Genre: Contemporary, Sci-Fi, Drama, Comedy, Chick Lit
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 337
Book #1 of the Airhead series
Publisher: Point
Published: June 1, 2008
 
EM WATTS IS GONE.
Emerson Watts didn’t even want to go to the new SoHo Stark Megastore grand opening. But someone needed to look out for her sister, Frida, whose crush, British heartthrob Gabriel Luna, would be singing and signing autographs there—along with the newly appointed Face of Stark, teen supermodel sensation Nikki Howard.
How was Em to know that disaster would strike, changing her—and life as she’d known it—forever? One bizarre accident later, and Em Watts, always the tomboy, never the party princess, is no longer herself. Literally.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. I'd seen this book many times over the years but for some reason just never picked it up. A friend recommended this book to me at the bookstore one day and seeing as it was on sale for one whole dollar, I decided it couldn't hurt to check it out. I finally picked it up about a week ago and I ended up really liking it! I hadn't read a Meg Cabot book before even though I've seen all the Princess Diaries movies so I'm definitely going to be picking up more books by her soon. Here's the review:
 
2. The characters in the book I pretty much fell in love with from the first page, which is often the case with a Meg Cabot novel from what I've heard. I really loved Emerson because she wasn't the typical high school girl. She was tomboy who didn't get the whole celeb and teen gossip magazines and especially didn't get the whole fashion appeal that so many girls get hooked on. I loved her friends and her family, especially her little sister Frida, and I really loved the character development of all of them. Em slowly becomes more confident in her own skin- well, almost her own skin- and she also learns what it truly means to lose someone you love as well as makes new friends and realizes that not everything and everyone is as they seem.
 
3. The writing in this book was so humorous and lighthearted while still having a bit of a serious topic. It's more mysterious and a little darker than what Meg Cabot usually writes but it was just as great. I loved how easy it was to read without the story being so detailed to the point of it being boring and slow going. It was fast-paced and kept it consistent to the end. 
 
4. Finally, overall, I was satisfied with the book. It was funny, interesting and had a sci-fi aspect that was a bit weird at first to me, considering that this book is a chick lit but it ended up blending well with the rest of the story. I loved that it was funny, kept me hooked to what was happening and had the perfect amount of romance that wasn't too much for everything else that was going on. It was a really sweet read about family and friends and I highly recommend it!
 
The reason why I didn't give this book a five-star rating was because I just didn't enjoy it as much as I would've loved. I can't quite put my finger on the reason why but it might've just been because of the fact that it took me so long to read it since my schedule has been pretty busy lately. It took me almost a full week to finish this book and I'm sure the time period just altered my overall thoughts on this book. 
 
Follow Meg! (she's everywhere!)
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!


1 comment:

  1. I always see this book around too, but I have never picked it up. I encourage you to read the Princess Diaries too, because they are hilarious! That's the thing I love about Meg Cabot's writing style is how fun she makes reading her books due to her humor. Great review!

    Meredith @ A Book Lover's Corner

    ReplyDelete