Monday, April 6, 2015

Review: The One by Kiera Cass (The Selection #3)

The One by Kiera Cass (The Selection #3)
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Dystopian, Romance, YA Fiction
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 323
Book #3 of The Selection series
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: May 4, 2014
 
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. Since this is in fact the third book of a series, there might be some spoilers that could come up in this review but I will give some fair warning just in case that happens! I was super excited to finally pick this book up and was happy that I was just in time to read it before the next book in the series is released next month. Here's the review!
 
2. The character development throughout the books was really getting interesting and by this third book, I was just so in love with the characters. In the first book, The Selection, our female protagonist America Singer is entered into a competition along with 34 other girls to compete for the heart of Prince Maxon and become the next princess that will one day be queen (click above for review). Just to keep this section short, I adored her character for how stubborn, annoyed and humored she was by the entire Selection process. In the second book, however, her character became frustrating to follow and became more dramatic and not at all like she was in the previous book. In this third book, her mind is clear and she has a better understanding of what she really wants and knows just what she feels for Prince Maxon. I loved how her character ended up turning out to be and I thought she was a lot stronger and more willing to stand up for what she believed was right no matter the consequences.
I loved seeing the other characters grow as well and I loved how much they continued to strengthen bonds of friendship, romance and became more of a team despite their differences. It was refreshing and I'm sad to think some of those characters won't appear in the next book.
 
3. I thought it was really cool to see a little more action in this book. The previous two didn't really have a lot of excitement other than watching 35 girls pretty much attack each other for a crown. Who doesn't love a little drama, right? I'm really happy that this third book got a lot more action and even had a few bullets flying. Okay, more than a few. I liked the excitement of a couple of big conflicts go awry and sometime it got a little graphic though not too much as to take away from the story. I would've loved to see a lot more action from the previous two books but I think holding off until this third book might've been a good move, seeing as so far, in my opinion, this book is the best yet in the series.
 
4. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book because of the character development, storyline, and how well this book wrapped up. I was mostly satisfied with how the story came about and I'm really excited to see what happens next in the next installment though I'm a little sad to know my very loved group of characters will not be the center of attention. I really enjoyed reading this and I have to say, the ending was also straight to the point and was very lovely indeed.
 
CONS:
1. The reason why I didn't give this book a five-star rating was because I didn't really love the world this book was set in. I would've loved a lot more dystopian elements other than divided countries, telephones and guns. All three books gave a dystopian feel but didn't really deliver in my opinion on the build up of a dystopian world. The castes were inventive, though not that original, and there was lots of conflict between them and other kingdoms. I just wanted to see more of the dystopian elements you see in other book of this genre.
 
Follow Kiera!
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!
 
The Heir by Kiera Cass (The Selection #4)
Out May 5, 2015
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment