Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Review: Wake by Lisa McMann

Wake by Lisa McMann
Rating: PG-13
Genre: YA Fiction, Romance
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 210
Book #1 of the Dream Catcher trilogy
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: March 4, 2008
 
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. I got so many requests to review this book as well as a ton of people telling me to hurry up and read this trilogy! I'm a fan of the Visions trilogy by Lisa McMann and I've heard a ton about this book series (all good things) and so I decided that I would finally pick it up and check it out for myself. Here's the review!
 
2. The characters were interesting ones to say the least. Our main character, Janie, doesn't exactly have the best life and the last thing she needs is a weird ability that she doesn't even know what to call. I liked her character because she isn't in the best situation, especially since her mom is always drunk and passed out on the couch. She's a bit of a loner and doesn't really have any friends that she actually likes. I think this book has a great cast of characters that are likeable in a sense and I thought they were all interesting, especially since one of our characters, Cabel, seems to be hiding something from Janie throughout the whole book.
 
3. I thought the whole dream aspect of the story was really cool. I liked how some of the dreams Janie was sucked into would last anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few hours and I thought it was cool how they not only transported her into whoever's dream she was seeing, but it also affected her physically. Though I find it odd how no one noticed her practically having a seizure when she was seeing someone's nightmare in the library or on the bus but I guess that's a problem for another day.
 
4. I loved Lisa McMann's writing in this book, as always. I thought it was interesting how the book is written in parts and also in a timeline. You knew exactly when there was a flashback and what was happening in the present. It was a really quick read because most times the book was written in paragraphs, some a few sentences, others even just a couple of words. Needless to say, I think I found a new favorite author to add to my growing list.  
 
CONS:
1. The reason why I didn't give this book a five-star rating was because, even though I enjoyed the book overall, it lacked a plot. It felt like I was just following Janie around as she goes through her every day life as a teenager with a weird ability to see people's dreams. The only real plot I could get from the book was when Janie tried to figure out who was having the nightmares with the monster in them and after she eventually found out who that was, the book kind of did it's own thing from that point on with no real direction towards a bigger part of the story. I liked this book enough to continue on with the trilogy but I really hope the next book has a defined plot.
 
Follow Lisa!
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment