Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Review: Fairest by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #3.5)

Fairest by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #3.5)
Rating: PG-13
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Romance, Dystopian
Score: 4.5 stars
Page Count: 220
Book #3.5 of the Lunar Chronicles Series
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Published: January 27, 2015
 
In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now.
Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. Seeing as I recently just finished reading the first three books in this series, I couldn't resist picking up this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter to read more about the beloved villain, Queen Levana. I really love Queen Levana as a villain and think she pretty much has the role down to a T but I really wanted to get to know her story more. I was really excited to pick it up and once again, flew threw it's pages in just one sitting!
 
2. Queen Levana is a seriously interesting and horribly evil character that you honestly can't help but love her for. She fits the criteria of a villain so well and pretty much does the job perfectly. While reading this book, I really loved getting to know who she was when she was younger and how exactly she came to be the person she was now. I couldn't help but feel sorry for Levana as events in her life played big roles into turning her into something sinister when she could've been a sweet person. Her life was far from perfect and full of rejection and she was constantly being told she wasn't good enough or pretty enough. I also enjoyed some new characters that we probably would've never met had this story not been written. I also really enjoyed seeing some character references to the other books such as Prince Kai, Cress, Wolf and of course, the one and only Cinder.
 
3. I also loved seeing how she grew up and how the events took place over certain periods of time. This book isn't a full-length novel like some believe it to be, it's just a collection of short stories that intertwine to create a collection of events that happen in Queen Levana's teen and new adult years. From the time she was born up until she became the sinister queen that started hatching a plan to take over Earth. I really liked seeing how she grew up and just what changes happened to her to make her a cold, evil and ultimately broken character. It was kind of sad yet entertaining at the same time.
 
4. Overall, I thought this was a great way to dive into more details about the villain of the Lunar Chronicles and enjoyed reading more about her and her life and what she could've been and what she is. I thought this was a great little taste of more of the Lunar world until we're able to get the fourth and final book in this series!
 
The only reason why I didn't give this a five-star rating was because even though I fully enjoyed reading this book, I felt like it should've been a little longer. I was satisfied for now, seeing as this book also had the first four amazing chapters of Winter!
 
Follow Marissa!
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!
 
Winter by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #4)
Out November 10, 2015

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get Fairest and Winter! I'm planning to marathon the whole series this year. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete