Monday, January 5, 2015

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Rating: PG
Genre: YA, Romance. Science Fiction, Dystopian
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 452
Book #2 of the Lunar Chronicles Series
Publisher: Macmilllan Publishers
Published: February 5, 2013
 
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. The second book to Cinder in The Lunar Chronicles Series might just be my favorite so far. I really loved Cinder to the moon and back (pun intended) and I was really excited to pick up Scarlet and continue the story. I was a little nervous about the second book since Cinder was such a great book but I was happy to find that Scarlet is an amazing continuation of the story.

2. We do get a whole new batch of characters in Scarlet which I really ending up loving. I really enjoyed reading about all the characters and getting to know them, where they're from, etc. I felt that Scarlet was an amazing female protagonist seeing as she was strong and not willing to give up on anything she set her mind too. I also really loved how characters from the first book intertwined in the second book and I really loved reading from their point of view every now and then because I really loved them in Cinder.

3. The story line was reminiscent to Little Red Riding Hood but also had it's own twist to the story which I really enjoyed. I really liked how the story had Little Red elements such as the red cape, the big bad wolf, the grandmother and a few other things. But I really loved seeing how even those main factors had their own twist and was made an original element for this amazing retelling. Needless to say, Marissa Meyer knows how to rewrite a classic fairytale without restricting herself to subtle changes.

4. As I mentioned earlier, the book is told in three different POV's, one from Cinder, one from Scarlet and one from Prince Kai. I really liked that the story was told this way because I got to see what was happening in another part of the world while something else was playing out at the same time. I thought it was pretty cool to see what was happening with one character when something else was playing out for another character. I also thought it was a great way to bring back the old characters from the first book and intertwine them.

5. Overall, I fully enjoyed reading this book and recommend this series to any fairytale lover looking for a good retelling of the classic bedtime stories. This book had something for everyone: romance, action, cool lunar powers, suspense and even comedy. I'm excited to pick up the third book in the series, Cress, and continue with the story to see what happens next!

Age Recommendation: 12+

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!  

No comments:

Post a Comment