Thursday, January 29, 2015

Memoirs Of A Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

Memoirs Of A Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin
Rating: PG
Genre: YA Fiction, Contemporary
Score: 4 1/2 stars
Page Count: 271
Stand Alone Novel
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giruox (BYR)
Published: August 21, 2007
 
If Naomi had picked tails, she would have won the coin toss. She wouldn’t have had to go back for the yearbook camera, and she wouldn’t have hit her head on the steps. She wouldn’t have woken up in an ambulance with amnesia. She certainly would have remembered her boyfriend, Ace. She might even have remembered why she fell in love with him in the first place. She would understand why her best friend, Will, keeps calling her “Chief.” She’d know about her mom’s new family. She’d know about her dad’s fiancée. She never would have met James, the boy with the questionable past and the even fuzzier future, who tells her he once wanted to kiss her. She wouldn’t have wanted to kiss him back. But Naomi picked heads. After her remarkable debut, Gabrielle Zevin has crafted an imaginative second novel all about love and second chances.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. I've heard so much about this book but regretfully didn't pick it up sooner. I really enjoyed this novel for so many reasons but I'll tell you my main reasons for loving this book. Let's get started shall we?
 
2. One thing I really loved about this book was the characters, particularly Naomi. I really felt like her character was very relatable in more than one way. I liked because of her amnesia, Naomi had to rediscover herself and redefine herself as a person and pretty much got a second chance to live her life and undo some mistakes she made in the past. She was a teen trying to find out who she is again and find her true friends as well as trying to find out where she fits in and who exactly she wants to be.
 
3. I really loved the writing in this book. Gabrielle Zevin in my opinion is a wonderful writer and I really loved how she worded things to make the story non-depressing but also not too lighthearted, it was somewhere in between, hopeful. It was beautifully written from beginning to end and I am really excited to check out more books from this author!
 
4. Overall, I really loved this book needless to say. It was romantic, heartbreaking, sad, uplifting, even funny at times. It was a beautiful blend of different emotions that made you want to cry and laugh at the same time. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a quick read but also doesn't mind a story about rediscovering yourself and looking forward instead of letting the past define you.
 
Age Recommendation: 13+
 
Click HERE to view information about "Memoirs Of A Teenage Amnesiac" movie.
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment