Monday, August 11, 2014

The Giver: Movie Review

Rating: PG-13
Score: 5 stars

As some of you may or may not know, tonight was a very exciting night for fans of the book everywhere across the country. For one night only, an early screening of The Giver was brought to select theaters to premiere the movie as well as see some behind the scenes footage of making the film and a live streaming from the New York City premiere where fans could see live interviews with the cast of the movie and the author herself. So, come along with me as I review the movie and tell you my pros and cons.

Review:
Pros:
1. First off, the casting. I really loved all the cast members and who played what rolls. I really loved how they portrayed the characters perfectly and do an amazing job at bringing them to life. I don't think they could have done a better job than what they did for casting the parts.

2. I loved how they pretty much covered the whole entire book without leaving anything out. The whole time while watching the movie, I took notes and made sure I recalled when something was left out and what was left in. I was greatly surprised, and happily at that, when I saw that almost nothing was left out. Even if you hadn't read the book before seeing the movie, you would've pretty much seen it all on the screen.

3. At least half of what was in the movie was not in the book but it wasn't all bad. One word that comes to mind constantly when I think about describing the movie is the word beautiful. The extra scenes made such an impact on the story itself that it felt more powerful, more meaningful and more inspirational than the actual story in book form. Even the author herself, Lois Lowry, said that we she saw the movie when it reached it's ending, was the true story of The Giver. Some scenes were of love and war, heartache and happiness, sadness and anger as well as joy and peace and just truly beautiful in every way.

4. The scenes in the movie truly brought the story to life in an amazingly visual way. The scenes in the book about The Giver giving memories to the young receiver, Jonas, were truly some of the best parts in the movie. Scenes of love and war and every other emotion were full of color and emotion and some made you smile and laugh while others made you cry or even ache yourself. There was also more romance in the movie as well as scenes taken from The Giver's point of view and The Chief Elder's point of view. Once again, at least half the movie was not in the book but at the same time, I personally thought the extra scenes added a lot more to the story and delivered an empowering message. That a life without emotion, beauty and even pain and suffering, is not worth living. 

Personal Pros:
1. It might not be the same for other theaters, but at my theater the tickets were completely FREE whereas I was expecting to pay at least $44 for two tickets. It was a nice start to the movie if I don't say so myself.

2. I also got a cool pair of The Giver sunglasses to which you can see on my Instagram: OutOfTheBlue1598. 

3. Last but not least, even if you haven't read the book or don't even plan on reading it at all, the movie was good by itself without having any actual knowledge of the book. My older brother went with me to the movie, having not been able to read the book first in time, really enjoyed the movie just as it was. If you want just a really good movie with an empowering message or just something interesting to watch with family and friends, this movie is for you!

Thank you guys so much for reading this movie review and be sure to see The Giver in theaters everywhere on August 15th. Once again, read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

1951-2014
Rest In Peace, Robin Williams


No comments:

Post a Comment